Admissions Requirements & Information
How and when to apply
There are two parts to complete to apply to the School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD):
- complete the Common Application. (Already a U-M student? Submit the online cross-campus transfer application instead.)
- Everyone must also create a DecisionDesk profile through which you'll demonstrate your artistic preparation.
- SMTD applicants typically apply for the Fall term, with limited openings in Winter term (January start). We do not accept applications to Spring or Summer terms.
- The priority deadline for the School of Music, Theatre & Dance is December 1. Look ahead, though; each audition/interview date has a "must apply by" date associated with it and, for early auditions, these application deadlines may be earlier than December.
- Apply early. Since audition/interview schedules fill quickly in most programs, requests that arrive late in November can be more difficult to accommodate. If invited to audition/interview, you will receive an e-mail confirmation of your date.
- Essays? Yes. Essays are a required part of our application process. The Common Application has a required essay - your choice from five different topics. U-M will also have 2 additional essays in the Writing Supplement.
- Send all the required materials. Upload all the items you can with the Common Application or through your DecisionDesk profile. Send anything more to email@example.com. Double-check the Applications Materials Checklist for a list of all the requirements.
- If you're running behind... The December 1 deadline is firm, but we may continue to accept applications after December 1 in some areas. Most programs will not accept applications after January 15 because of limitations in enrollment.
Waiting for a decision
How are things going? If you applied more than two weeks ago, you may check your status online.
Receive a decision. Admission to all undergraduate programs in the School requires both a successful academic review and completion of an audition, portfolio, and/or interview, depending upon program requirements. All application materials will be considered in the final decision.
International applicants Welcome to our global community!